Monday, July 22, 2013

Safety in the Science Classroom

I have decided that my main form of teaching science safety will be using pictures from the internet and videos from YouTube. I have seen multiple safety videos made by students on YouTube and while going through them to find the best one I noticed that none were completely 100% flawless. I will show this video on the left (provide an example as how the video should be "graded" using the rubric. Then we would continue to watch the video which sums up and explains many of the rules and regulations we are to teach concerning lab safety and see if they caught them all. 
This is when I decided to give each group of students a select video to view and then do a rating on the video including any flaws the video had. In essence they would be "grading" the certain lab safety YouTube video using a rubric I have given them. In the rubric the comments section should include how they would change be video and specific things that were "wrong" in the video concerning presentation and lab safety rules. 

Here are a few videos I thought about using. Most of these videos use the rap by Rhythm, Rhyme, Results from educationalrap.com
Here is another video which can be used for younger students as well as a link. It would not let me post the video. 

Then they can use the discussion from the first video and their knowledge to do this cartoon activity almost as a pre assessment before giving the lab safety test which must be passed in order to do labs in science class in the future.

 http://www.biologycorner.com/worksheets/safety.html

At the bottom of the cartoon after the questions is also a "Lab Safety Teacher Guide" that provides possible answers.

I have also decided that I would have a final project that the students would complete choosing from these two options and possibly if a student has an additional idea they may ask me for permission.
1. A fashion show where they are to walk down and show improper lab attire and proper lab attire and explain why for both not only on a note card for me to grade and have a sample but as they make it to the end of the runway. (one I think my VERY talkative/outgoing always wanting to show off girls will REALLY go for and like)
Here is the video I used for the background music (of course not showing the video to the students)
I searched for a video that had a great flashy background to show as my students walked down a butcher paper "red carpet"
2. A personal sketch that must contain at least 4 colors /presentation using http://www.kerpoof.com/  /cartoon using http://www.toondoo.com/ /or another video or book site that I have showed my students or one they have used in the past. These must also show the improper and proper lab attire with a paragraph explaining. I will also have them present this to the class to work on social skills and speaking in front of their peers.

If you have other ideas or videos that would be great to use in a lab safety lesson please comment below.
Until another idea pops into my head,
Chelsea



2 comments:

  1. Would you be willing to share your rubric you used for the movie review?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually ended up not doing a rubric for "grading" the videos. We talked together in a class about how they could make the videos better. Since our unit assessment is at the end of 2 long units I am thinking about doing the videos again and then making a video making rubric from rubistar. I also am a tad new to sharing items on blogger. If/When I do make the rubric I would be willing to share. What would be the best format to share?

      Delete